We just can't believe we will be entering our 8th season of farming!! We are so grateful to be able to continue farming year after year. It really has taken a strong family and a strong community to keep our farm alive without that I am not sure where we would be. So MANY thanks to all of those who have gently guided us!
Let's talk about last season. 2017 had a lot of changes from working more closely with fellow farmers in the maritime small farms co-op to what crops did well to what didn't! For some reason our broccoli did amazing yet our cabbage was laughable at best. Our cherry trees exploded and our peppers were so late. Every season is so different from the next and well I (Courtney) love that! These fluxuations are what keep us learning and humble.
Working with the co-op gave us the confidence that we did know what we were doing and the path we were following was the right one for us. You often find yourself fighting over which way to go. Should you head towards the pile of money or should you just sacrifice all that you have? Well, that answer is in the middle! We often tried to sacrifice as much as we could and just crossed our fingers that all would work out. Somethings do but other things need more action on our part.
This brings us to the 2018 season with more clarity on how we like to move forward on our farm. We were fortunate to find another young apsiring farmer that wants to learn the ropes of a CSA and we are ready to make an expansion on our farm. So, yes we are going to have our first employee this season and we can't wait for you all to meet her in the spring! We've waited so long to take this step because we wanted to make sure we had something to offer besides a paycheck something much more substantial - Knowledge!
What isn't going to change on the farm? Well, growing lots of weird and wonderful vegetables of course! We always say we need to stop but let's be honest -we can't! Instead we are going to lean into the weird and wonderful- muwhahaha! We got our first batch of potatoes last season from true seed that will be planted out this season. We are again going to try and grow lots of heirloom squashes (hopefully with more sucess this year aka get that hay on!!) because there are some amazing flavors out there!
So I guess what I am trying to say in short is that in 2018 we are going to follow our hearts without fear, not be afraid to grow WITH quailty and remembering we got to take care of our needs too! Let the balancing act of growing forward begin!
And now I must sneak some of Adam's wonderful poetry out into the world once again because to me the simplicity of what he writes is as real as the nature that is all around us and well he doesn't seem to get that so I am going to bug him to share more and more. Even if that means I have to be sneaky. Haha.
Here are the some of details of our 2018 CSA season.
- Deliveries are every Wednesday Afternoon done by us the farmers!
- We will have all the same locations as last season - Bedford-Natures Cove, Halifax-Humanit, Dartmouth-Blended Athletics, Tantallon-Cornerstone Naturopathic plus the 'Choose your own location' as usual.
- Our offerings are veggies, eggs, ferments, flowers, pork and chicken shares. With the option to order weekly add-ons of meat and eggs from Emily.
- We will be offering an 'Early Bird Share' for the 30 week veggie share and the ferment shares from now until the end of February. Save $1.50/wk on your veggies and save $.50/wk on your ferments.
- We are also offering a 'Choose Your Own Weeks' share for those vacation but still want to be part of a CSA. There is a minimum of a 15 week commitment but can be any weeks in between June- Dec. This offer can't be combined with 'Early Bird Share'.
- We finally have created a special offer for members who have been with us 3 years or longer called the 'Veg Head Share' which gives you FREE delivery/admin fees. A value of $3off/wkly.
Here is more about our shares: 2018 CSA SHARES
Here are all the perks we are offering this season: 2018 CSA PERKS!
Here is the sign-up sheet: 2018 CSA REGISTRATION
Here is the online shop for those who want to pay by paypal: 2018 CSA ONLINE SHOP
*Additional fees are charged with paypal payments. E-transfers are Free.