Who is Olde Furrow Farm?
We are Courtney and Adam Webster, a husband and wife duo who love growing things and the whole farming lifestyle. We do all the growing, processing, delivering, marketing, and everything else in between! We feel fortunate to be able to grow all our produce on our family's land in the beautiful Annapolis valley, continuing a third generation of farming on this land!
What are we doing?
Our focus is on providing quality produce in coordination with eco-conscious practices that are efficient and ethical.We never use pesticides and only grow Non-GMO and/or Heirloom Seeds on about 4 acres. Our primary focuses are running a CSA and selling at the Wolfville Farmers Market. We are fully devoted to the Sustainable and Local Food Movement and as our business grows we never sacrifice quality for quantity.
Where is Olde Furrow Farm?
Olde Furrow Farm is a 100 acre family farm located on Belcher Street in Port Williams, directly across the Cornwallis River from New Minas in Kings County, Nova Scotia. This land has been farmed for centuries starting from the industrious Acadians, then the New England Planters, and finally Planter desendants Earle and Myrna Webster (maiden name Bishop) purchased the farm as it is now, in 1943. There are some distinct characteristics of the land. There is dykeland, sandy and clay loam upland soil, plus a wonderful old growth hemlock/pine ravine and brook running down one side to the tidal, muddy, Cornwallis River.
History of Olde Furrow Farm
We have traced the ownership, so far, back to the Curry family who purchased the farm some time around the mid 1800's. Simeon Curry and his sons farmed this land and according to historical records he died in Cornwallis (as this side of the Cornwallis River was called then) October 18th, 1869. After Simeon's death his sons Albert, (born June 14, 1853) and Arthur, (born May 1, 1867) took over the land until their death in 1925 and 1938 respectfully. Yes, you have done the math correctly; it seems Albert took over the farm at age 16! Upon Arthur's death the farm was sold to Robie Kidston in 1938 who ran the farm for a few years and re-built the house as it is today. Don's parents purchased the farm in 1943.
Don Webster's parents are Earl and Myrna(Bishop) Webster, both can trace their farming ancestral roots back to the 1760’s with the influx of the New England Planter settlers after the Expulsion of the Acadians. They spend many years growing cattle, apples and vegetables, making a living for them and their five children.
Sadly Earl Webster passed away many years ago leaving Myrna with five kids and a farm to run. With the help of her immediate family and her children, we kept the land producing beef cattle. Can you imagine the commitment she made to keep farming the land as a single woman fifty years ago? The frugalness and hard work was an everyday way of life for the whole family. We all played a part and took our turns in the barn and in the fields as we grew older. I tell you this to demonstrate the passion for this land that we now strive to continue.
Courtney And Adam
One of the many old growth hemlocks on the farm.